Summer 2021 may still be different than we were hoping, but we can observe our local health regulations and keep healthy and fit at the same time, according to Harvard. Eating healthy and putting physically active pastimes into action is something teens, tweens, kids, adults, and families need than ever before. This summer is a great time to focus on staying fit and healthy as a family.
8 Summer Ideas for Families to Keep Fit and Healthy Together
#1 – Be a Role Model
Kids and teenagers will listen better if we are doing what we are telling them to do. Being healthy and active starts with the parents. Inspire your kids!
- Eat well, and they will eat well.
- Limit television and exercise regularly, and they’ll follow along.
- Your actions mean more than not doing what you are telling them to do.
#2 – Be in the Olympics
Ever tried pretending your entire family is in the Olympics to keep kids fit and healthy during summer 2021?
- Friendly competitions work wonders when you are feeling cooped up.
- Pick out a special gift everybody would like and leave it somewhere in sight.
- Chart out ways to be active from now until the end of August.
- Document the winners each week.
- The most active one at the end of summer wins the victory.
#3 – Walk or dance, and get the grandparents involved!
Don’t mean to sound cliché, but make it a habit to walk the neighborhood after dinner. Come up with an alternative plan for hot and rainy days. For example, dance to your favorite music in the living room.
#4 – Set Up for Circuit Training
Who says you can’t have a gym in the middle of your living room? Better yet, spread it out to individual rooms in the house.
Each station should have:
- Set a Timer (one minute per exercise)
- Upper-Body Exercises such as Pushups and Shoulder Presses
- Lower-Body Exercises such as Walking Lunges and Calf Strengthening
- Compound Exercises such as Jumping Jacks
- Sprinting Exercises such as Running in Place
- Rest for One Minute After Entire Set
- Begin Again (for 10 to 45 Minutes)
#5 – Try Camp Games & Yoga Activities
Happy Camper Live’s web series, Camp Games and Yoga, helps break your couch-potato habits. As you practice yoga regularly you’ll all develop more flexibility and strength, which will help prevent injury.
#6 – Get Sporty
#7 – Snack Healthy
- Turn fruit into frozen treats by freezing grapes or blueberries.
- Use popsicle sticks in the middle of yogurt cups, then place in the
- Put healthy snacks like nuts or fruit in easy to reach places so the kids can grab them when they’re hungry.
#8 – Virtual Summer Camps & Programs
2021 Virtual Summer Camps are a growing trend. Join a virtual expo or virtual summer camp this summer, and participate from the comfort of your own home!
Keep Kids Fit and Healthy During Summer 2021
& Put Plans into Action
It does not have to be a difficult process to keep kids fit and healthy during summer 2021.
And, remember: It’s never too late!
Let’s help your kids have a fantastic summer 2021! Sign up here for a free trial.